Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Missionary Work

For those who are members of the church reading this understand there has been a huge emphasis on "hastening the work" and ensuring that every member is taking part of the missionary efforts. Now, this is one of the things we have been encouraged and commanded to do that I have felt extremely inadequate in doing. I've lived in Utah my entire life and there is an obvious majority of LDS people that live here. Therefore growing up I never saw the need to be a missionary because I just assumed that people were already LDS or knew about it and weren't interested. Disclaimer: I can be a passive person, I don't like being pushy and I HATE rejection (I'm not proud of this, in fact I've been working on it), so those people that weren't LDS that I knew I didn't want to bring it up in fear of rejection or people being annoyed with me and no longer wanting to be friends. I never really had a deep desire to serve a mission, but I always had an admiration for sister missionaries. I used to feel guilty for this lack of desire but I eventually realized that wasn't necessarily bad because I still had a desire to BE a missionary. However, even though I had the desire to be one, I felt like I wasn't doing what I could and the more and more it was mentioned by our leaders I felt more and more inadequate. This is where an interesting story comes in. I began to pray for missionary opportunities, or even just experiences where I could share my testimony to friends who were struggling/inactive. Over the summer I got a text while at work from a sister missionary who was serving in the stake. She asked if I would be willing to go on splits with her. I had no idea what this was. haha! I had to text Kory and ask him. Anyways, I said yes to going even though at the time I really wanted to just go home after work and eat and get things done. Well, that was incredibly selfish and rude of me to feel that way. Upon meeting the sister missionary I was humbled. She explained to me that we were going to a woman's house who's husband was a member, sort of inactive, and she was investigating the church. They hoped I would come along because I was around this woman's age. Anyways, to the point. It was an uplifting experience and I came away from the discussion feeling really grateful. Because I realized the Lord answered my prayer in providing a missionary experience. It was literally handed to me, which I realize can be rare. I don't claim to know what serving a mission is like, but everyone I know who has served one says it's hard work, you have to go out and SEEK those people. and I was blessed to have the experience easily provided to me. I was so excited when I came home I had to tell Kory about my experience. And I felt like this was an experience to blog about as well. Not only did I come away feeling grateful, but I also came away with an added testimony of missionary work. The Lord will always provide a way for His will. so there's that. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home